Not sure where to begin when it comes to installing an extension into OpenCart? Follow our 7 Step OpenCart Extension Installation tutorial to install almost any OpenCart extension or module. Click on the images for full-size versions to assist you with your install.
Before You Begin
If you are using any language directory other than English, you must change the following folder names to the name of the language directory you use:
admin / language / english / …
catalog / language / english / …
1. Connect to your FTP server. If you don’t have an FTP client, you can download one here.
2. Locate the main shop directory on your server. This will be the location in which you installed your store.
3. Locate the extension on your local machine that you wish to install.
4. Open the folder containing the module you have downloaded and follow the developer installation instructions in regards to what files to upload. The installation instructions are usually contained in a text file called “installation”, or “readme”.
5. Inside the designated upload folder you will find the folders that need to be uploaded to install the extension.
6. To install the extension, simply drag the designated folders into the empty space below the files on your server. The extension folder structure will put the extension files in the required locations. Make sure to drag the folders into an empty area below the files on your server to avoid uploading the files into a subfolder.
7. If you are prompted to overwrite existing files, you may already have an extension with the same filenames on your server. Installing another extension with the same filenames could cause errors. If you are updating an already installed extension, ignore this warning and select “Overwrite All”.
Congratulations, you have installed your OpenCart extension! If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments!